Saturday, February 3, 2007

Weekend in Mendocino

Yesterday, we ditched. John and I entrusted the kids to my parents, cut out of our numerous responsibilities, and drove up to Mendocino. It is rare for the two of us to go to the movies together, much less go away for a weekend. I’ve been wanting to come up here for years, and finally just made it happen. Mendocino has not disappointed us.


We had our fine dining experience of the year last night, then walked outside looking at stars, with the full moon shining through tall pines. That alone was worth the trip.

Inevitably, when we go out – to the movies or “away” – we go to some heavy war movie and end up completely stunned and subdued. John suggested “Babel” this evening, which I vetoed, so he spent the evening recounting Fields of Fire to me. I love this man, but a romantic he is not. Dinner tonight was takeout sandwiches, cookies, and a bottle of wine from the general store. But no war movie.

I snuck a little fiber retreat into the weekend. I don’t think John has noticed. Yesterday, I set up the spinning wheel and plied some lavender silk/rayon. I still cannot produce a consistent yarn. The important thing is I am enjoying the process, and I’m improving (I hereby so decree).


Today, I made my way through The Magic of Handweaving, which I enjoyed. I didn’t bring the loom, so we have no way of knowing whether I really learned anything. I also knit endlessly on the teal ribbed shell. I cannot knit, watch scenery, and sip coffee at the same time, so I had to rip back repeatedly because I had neglected to decrease. Same mistake, at least four times. Let’s not go there.

And there is swag. Of course there is swag. Mendocino has a wonderful yarn shop. How could I not go in?


This is Chasing Rainbows tencel/merino in the Madrona colorway, by a local fiber artist. The lighting in here does not do it justice. It is like jewelry. I don’t have a weakness for jewelry. I have a weakness for yarn. I’m happy.


We drove up the coast today – so beautiful. Here’s proof. We spotted whales, or possibly the same whale several times. We walked out to Point Cabrillo lighthouse and back. John is really not interested in owl pellets or coyote and wildcat droppings -- what is wrong with this man? He is more worried about whether I’m going to walk over the edge of a cliff.


The full moon and the stars are out there again. Beautiful. (That's a secret greeting to my godson in Virginia...)

No comments: